Approved/revised: April 19, 2013
The Board will govern with a style which:
- emphasizes outward vision
- invites diversity in viewpoints
- provides strategic leadership
- articulates a clear distinction of Board and President roles
- is based on collective decisions
- embraces proactivity
- is consistent with NVIT's published Values Statement.
More specifically, the Board will:
1. Operate in ways mindful of its obligation to be accountable to the community ownership of NVIT.
2. Enforce upon itself whatever discipline is needed to govern with excellence. Discipline will apply to matters such as attendance, policy making principles, respect of roles, speaking with one voice and ensuring the continuity of governance capability. Continual redevelopment will include orientation of new members in the Board's governance process and periodic Board discussion of process improvement.
3. Direct, control and inspire the organization through the careful establishment of Board organizational ends policies reflecting the Board's values and perspectives. The Board's major focus will be on the intended long term impacts outside the operating organization and not on the administrative or programmatic means of attaining these results.
4. Welcome staff initiative and cultivate a sense of group responsibility. The Board will govern with excellence and initiate governance policy.
5. Monitor and regularly discuss the Board's process and performance. Self-monitoring will include comparison of Board activity and discipline in policies in the Governance Process and Board - President Relationship categories.
6. Give notice of Motion at a meeting for adoption of new governance policies or major changes to existing governance policies at a subsequent regular meeting.